Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sepia Saturday #68, Post #1 of 2 : The Civilian Conservation Corps, WWII


My Grandfather, Floyd Traylor, worked in the Civilian Conservation Corps  during the Great Depression.  Before becoming a logger, when he was young, Grandpa worked on the C.C.C. construction crews building park benches and picnic tables in Oregon's campgrounds.  

I was so excited to see that Alan had chosen the subject of the C.C.C. for this week's Sepia Saturday.  Yesterday, I was in Bend and went to the Humane Society of Central Oregon Thrift Store   on Greenwood Avenue.  It was my first time there, and I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted these booklets:




They were put out by the Lane County Historical Society and are called the Lane County Historian.  No books were cheap at that thrift store, but I got a set of 6 volumes of the Lane County Historian for $10.00.  They are an assorted mix, ranging from 1996-2000.  I scored BIG on these! 

Here is a link to info about Lane County, Oregon, for those of you not familiar with our area.  Eugene is the county seat, and that is where I grew up. 


Source of these two maps:  Wikipedia.com


When I got home and read through them, I found the following article about the Civilian Conservation Corps, which coincides with Sepia Saturday's theme this week.  I scanned it.  I hope that I don't get thrown in jail.  It is all for the greater good, I think.  You can click on each photo below to enlarge for better viewing.  Trust me, you'll be able to read each page just fine.  




















I am submitting this to Sepia Saturday.  Please CLICK HERE to see awesome old pictures and learn remarkable history from all over the world!  I have posted a second Sepia Saturday this week, so when you are done, please check it out by clicking here.       




If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

18 comments:

Donnie said...

We have a road here named CCC road after the group. A lot of our mountain roads were built by them. I enjoyed reading all about it. Thanks.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Donnie, that is cool. What a neat thing to have a permanent reminder.

Postcardy said...

The camps sound like they would have been an enjoyable experience for anyone that was unemployed.

Hootin Anni said...

Wow...I skimmed through your scans, but I will have to come back to be able to read it in its entirety! How so very interesting.

My Thursday's Link:
Memory...I know what Happiness Is!

Gloria said...

That is great that you were able to locate and purchase these booklets! What a find! You are a good shopper and they be enjoyable reading.
Best,
Gloria

Bob Scotney said...

What a find. The scanned pages show up well when enlarged; they will take a time to read. The row of vehicles on the first page caught my attention from the start.

Brett Payne said...

I enjoyed the story of the young men cross the Mackenzie pass by car, using planks to get across snowdrifts - a great tale, and a nice find, thank you.

Mike Brubaker said...

Great find. My uncle was in the CCC and I recently watched a great documentary produced for PBS on the short history of the CCC. They made America what it is today. And the CCC made men ready for WWII as well.

The cover photo is an amazing snow vehicle - The Fordson tractor conversion. See it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274

Unknown said...

Oh I remember hearing about the CCC in Kentucky. It is quite an interesting story. We have a knife with CCC on it but don't remember who had it.
QMM

Unknown said...

In the Adirondacks of NY State, where I spend the summers, you can see acres of enormously tall trees set in pristine miles of measured rows--all done by the CCC. It's fantastic. What a neat post!

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Love the photo of your grandfather. What a lot of information these books hold, I can only imagine your delight when you bought these books then found the article on CCC. Wonderful.

North County Film Club said...

Great find - those magazines. My father was in the ccc's but in another state. I'll be interested to read all the articles after I finish reading all the ss posts!

Nancy
Ladies of the grove

21 Wits said...

I guess I never realized that the CCC group of workers were in other states...they had them here too...this was quite interesting (I enjoyed the wax museum trip too!) and this is a wonderful post for Sepia Saturday, and with your grandfather included, very cool! Thanks!

Alan Burnett said...

This is particularly fascinating because the last time I got around to updating my Fat Dog To The Big Apple Blog I was travelling through Lane County. The reality of your images, memories and words helps fuel my imagination.

Betsy Brock said...

Wow...the theme fit perfectly! I can only imagine your surprise to find those LC Historians at the thrift store! How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

How fortunate you were to find the booklets - it always pays to have a good "root around" as you never know what you might find! Jo

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Everybody, thanks for visiting and commenting. I'm happy that you enjoyed the post. Now, if I haven't already, I'm to visit you and see your SS post.

Tattered and Lost said...

What a wonderful find. You'll spend hours pouring over these.

I love Eugene. Such a nice livable city.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":