Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Do You Have to Use Special Toilet Paper in your RV? "The Great Toilet Paper Experiment"

When we bought our new trailer last week, Greg, the guy who taught us how to operate it, told us to buy special, biodegradable camping toilet paper.  So, I did.  

Yesterday, I decided to hold a little side-by-side toilet paper experiment using our regular brand, Scott, and this special stuff, Monex.  Nobody is paying me for this (they have no idea that I even exist) ... with Dana Dog as my witness!  She was watching me take pictures for this post.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

"The Great Toilet Paper Experiment"
Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I have been purchasing Scott toilet paper for years.  I am a loyal customer.  The rolls last longer, and they contain no perfume.  We are on a septic system, but with all the detergent and other things that go into that thing, I doubt if a bit of perfumed toilet paper would hurt things much anyway.  I usually get my toilet paper at Bi-Mart when it is on sale in a twelve pack for $9.99.  That comes out to .83 cents per roll.  If it isn't on sale the cost is near $1.00 per roll.  With Scott, you get 1000 single ply sheets per roll.

There is only one brand of special RV toilet paper in the camping department of Bi-Mart, and it is distributed by the same folks who make the chemicals for RV toilets.  A four pack of Monex sold for $3.99, or around $1.00 per roll.  With Monex, you get 500 two-ply sheets per roll.  So, I do think that it is more expensive.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Yesterday, I took a strip of each kind of toilet paper ...

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

... here is a close-up shot ...

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

... and filled two identical glasses 3/4 full of tap water ...
 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Then, I let them sit for about 18 hours to see which brand would disintegrate the most during that time frame:

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

When it looked like things were not going to progress any further, I began taking pictures.  I took two identical knives and scooped up what came out with the first dip.  This is where you are going to have to trust me ... the Monex came out with a huge amount of paper, and the Scott came out with a tiny bit.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Common sense tells me that in a small holding tank for a trailer, the Scott would just take up less room.  So, that is what I am going to use in our 5th wheel.  Come to find out, ALL toilet paper is biodegradable, even if they don't put that on their packaging.  Some toilet paper contains dyes and perfumes and are not recommended for trailer tanks, but I feel that Scott brand is a superior and less expensive product than Monex.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

This is just my simple research and common sense opinion ... and I am throwing out a disclaimer here:  Decide for yourself; I'm not responsible for what goes on inside your RV tank.

Happy Camping!

~ Kathy M. 

P.S. - Cary was very impressed with my experiment ... it was like being in science class all over again, lol.


At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.  Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

7 comments:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

LOL! I'm so glad you're carrying out this important scientific research! I think it's great that you ran this experiment--I've always heard that Scott was the best for septic tanks, and now I know it's best for RVs (and I assume any type of tanked waste system).

Linda Reeder said...

I love your experiment! And even more I love that you didn't just take someone's word for it. You wanted to KNOW for yourself!

Bob Scotney said...

It all comes down to the 'bottom' line. Kathy. It just depends on which side of the line you are on.

KathyB. said...

Ah ha! I suspected as much, but never would have thought to try it out. Just between you and me, I have used other toilet paper in our trailer, no adverse effects. Now I know why.Thanks Kathy, now I will definitely make sure I get the better value in this department.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, how cute of you! I bet they are comparing it to thicker varieties than the Scott--my husband won't use anything that might fall apart on him--he's a big baby about it. I like your experiment, though--very nice!

Golden Eagle said...

Great experiment. It does seem like Scott would be the better deal, since there was such a difference in how they dissolved!

Arkansas Patti said...

I do declare, this is the first formal toilet paper experiment I have ever seen. Well done. You sold me.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":