Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Crafting With Fabric Panels: The ABC's

A couple of weeks ago, I went into the quilt shop and fabric store in La Pine.  I hadn't been there for a long time, and boy have things changed.  They have so much inventory now!  That is an awesome thing, since my old fabric haunt, the Walmart in Bend, no longer has a fabric section.  I am very happy that I can buy most everything that I need for sewing in La Pine at this point.



One of the things that I bought was three panels of "vintage" ABC's fabric.  This was all before I even knew that I would soon be working as a preschool teacher, but I really liked these, and they were only $6.00 each.  Last week, I decided to get busy and see what I could come up with.




I decided to make three pillows out of one of the panels:



I really like how they turned out:


The second panel I cut into individual pieces and made flash-cards with:



I chose heavy-duty card stock, in the color of cream. for the backing.  I didn't worry about the raw edges at that point.  I was laying them out here:



I used my handy-dandy cardboard box to spray the backs with adhesive:



These have been sprayed and attached to the card stock.  I gave them time to dry.  After they were good and dry, I used scissors (NOT my sewing scissors though) to trim each one up:


Then I brought out my laminator that my girls, Kari and Kristin, gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago.  This is the first time that I have used it, and that turned out to be very easy.  I laminated two per page and then trimmed those:
 


This is how they turned out.  I think that I will use them in the writing area, hanging them on the wall above the table.  These have some old fashioned words/pictures on them, but the letters are nice and so are the colors:




I have one more panel left, and I am thinking of making a wall hanging out of it.  

It was a lot of fun; easy projects that I really enjoyed making.

Have you made anything fun lately?

~ Kathy M.

I am linking up today with Mrs. Sarah Coller's "Homemaking Weekend" over at Hope in Every Season.

;Photobucket



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

6 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

You're amazing. What a beautiful and functional idea! Your creative talents are so prolific. Please let us know how your first day goes. I know the little ones will love you.

Pamela said...

What a creative use of of the adorable panels. I'm knitting bunnies for the "tinies" in our family. They love anything Mawmaw makes.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Those flash cards are terrific. The kids will love them. (And they'll love YOU, too!)

Gloria said...

Oh my God, everything you made is fantastic! That fabric is just wonderful. It is so colorful and bright. Not only will the kids love the flash cards, the other teachers will love YOU for bringing in new stuff! And will you bring the pillows in for the kids too? They look so comfy! You really did a great job, Kathy. You'll be spending all of your pay on making stuff for these kids, knowing you! LOL! You are so generous and giving, the kids and EVERYONE are so lucky to have you at the school. They will all be crazy about you. Have fun and keep us posted!
Best,
Gloria xxoo

Little Nell said...

They're gorgeous Kathy, especially the pillows, but I hope you won't actually be using them as flash cards! Those tinies will never get their infant teeth round 'velocipede' :)

Terri said...

You are so super creative! I love your idea. I am sure the kids and the other teachers will appreciate them.
Hugs,
Terri

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":