Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Big Storm vs. Big Party


Two things are supposed to happen tomorrow: our company Christmas party (20 people for a prime rib dinner, at our house) and a foot of snow is predicted to accumulate between today and tomorrow evening. I have been working hard all week to get the house ready and the food and drinks bought ... I hope that the snow doesn't get so bad that it dampers the party plans.

This snow storm is a scary one. They are talking blizzard conditions on the passes, with 2 to 4 feet of snow and winds up to 75 miles per hour. Ever since I moved to Central Oregon in 2001, I have never heard the forcast calling for a blizzard. I would remember that, because of the impression I got from the blizzards that Laura Ingalls and her family had to put up with in those days long ago. Pa had to tie a rope from the house to the barn so that he could go out to feed the cow and horses during whiteouts. And Ma would hang the clothes out and bring them in frozen. Blizzards are bad news.

I like snow (ever since I married into backhoes) . I like driving my car with studded tires, and how it handles better than my husband's truck. But, I have never been a fan of wind. Wind scares me. I trace it back to the Columbus Day storm in 1962, which, by the way, happend to ruin my 4th birthday party. Huge trees were crashing all over the place. Nobody is coming over for cake and ice cream when that is going down. Now when the wind begins to blow hard like that, I get anxious. I fill up the bathtubs full of water, just in case we lose power. (For you city folks, that is so we have water to flush the toilets. No electricity, no pump.) I like to be prepared.

Well, we'll see what happens. I hope the wind and snow will not get too bad tomorrow and ruin our Christmas party. Oh well, if we get stranded at home, we are stocked up on food and booze!




Last year's snow.

No comments:

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":