Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This and That Wednesday:

Hello Friends!  Happy Wednesday to you.  So, what's up?  I've been busy making things again.  Here is what I have been working on over the past week.  (This is a long post, so please scroll all the way to the bottom to leave your comments.)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Eleven little preschool pillows and three kids' scarves.  Plus, I finished the edging on four little heart pillows.  Yay!

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

At the fabric store, you can usually find panel sets that are meant for sewing into a book.  Instead, I decided to make little pillows out of them. 

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

Four are stories from the Bible, and the others have to do with colors.  I chose the appropriate color for the back of each color pillow.  These are kind of neat, because they also have the color and words in Spanish and French, as well as in English.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

I still need to finish trimming these pillows, and to add a few more rows to this little scarf.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

It takes a bit more time to stitch around the edges, but it adds value and just looks nicer.  It is kind of peaceful to do the hand-stitching as I am watching t.v.

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

 Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews

When these are all done, I'll get them ready for sale and put them into my vintage store trailer.  (I keep saying that to make it real to me ... it is kind of a way of goal setting. The more I get it into my mind that it really is going to happen, then it will, don't ya know.)

Meat Bees:

Meat Bees Source ~ Flicker

The meat bees are terrible around here!  They showed up a bit late this year, in the month of August.  At first, we were able to co-exist, but now we can't even sit outside on the front porch.  I was stung on the back of my knee a couple of weeks ago, and it still itches.  Lots of my friends and relatives have been stung too.  Some swelled up black and blue.  I swear that last week the dogs were also being stung.  They were making crying noises that I hadn't heard before, so I brought them right in.

Meat bees like to gather around water and food.  I guess that  sometimes we are considered food.  When I feed the cat her canned food, she has about one minute to eat the gravy before those dang bees begin to show up and join her.  She won't come inside, and I have had a hard time figuring out how to make sure she gets more of the good stuff.  She has dry food available, but it just is not her first choice.  Yesterday evening, I fed her in the garage with the doors closed.  That seemed to help a bit. 

It has been getting into the 30's a night the past few days, and that seems to be helping the situation.  I miss being out on the porch in the afternoon sun!

Freak Accidents

This is a weird little story.  Larry is a friend of mine that I used to work with years ago.  I am friends with his ex-wife and kids on Facebook.  The other day, his son wrote to tell us that Larry rode his motorcycle to Reno with his father and brother for a guys weekend.  They were at the airshow on Sunday when devastation hit.  The three of them were unharmed, thank goodness, and I am very sorry for those who were hurt or killed in that tragic accident.

Later, they were back at their hotel (not sure which one) and were riding in the elevator.  Suddenly, the elevator malfunctioned and dropped several floors, slamming everybody in a heap.  Both Larry an his brother have some pretty hurt knees.  Glad that nobody was hurt seriously. 

But still, what are the chances of those two weird things happening to the same group of people in one weekend?  Have you ever had an elevator do something like that when you were riding in it?

Un-Newsworthy?

There has been something really big going on in North Dakota since June. There was a huge flood in Minot that caused a lot of devastation, and there are tons of people still trying to clean it up.  At the same time, a bunch of oil has been being drilled in mainly North Dakota, in an area called "The Bakken" (here is a USGS Release about this "The Bakken").  

People are swarming there to work.  There are "man-camps", farmer's fields full of R.V.'s and tents trying to accommodate the influx of people.  Have you guys seen or heard anything about all of this on the news?  Why is it being kept so quiet?  The flood part was mentioned at the time it happened, but the rest of it seems to be circulating by word of mouth.  Some of our friends have taken their equipment back there to work.  Do you guys know more about this?  Who decides what is news and what is news but should be kept quiet?  I'm just sayin'.  We watch a LOT of news around here, and I'm just not hearing about this great adventure.  On second thought, maybe it is just like the rest of the news; it is on there for a bit and nobody except for Anderson Cooper does a follow-up. 

Well, that is enough for now, I've got to get going and give you guys a chance to do something else.  Thanks so much for stopping by to visit.  I hope that your Wednesday is grand!


Kathy M.



At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot!  All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.
 Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

5 comments:

BECKY said...

LOVE those adorable pillows!! Do you read Linda O'Connell's blog? She teaches preschool and would love them. Maybe you could tell her about 'em! :)
SO glad your peeps didn't get hurt at that air show....so awful. And the elevator thingy? Geez!
You are the busiest gal I know. Do you ever sleep?! :)

Arkansas Patti said...

Love those pillows, they are precious.
That was really strange in Reno. What a tragedy. One would begin to feel picked on with that elevator incident on top of the disaster. So glad they weren't hurt.

Donna Volkenannt said...

The pillows are so cute. You are so talented.
Donna

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, Becky! Yes, sometimes I visit Linda's blog. I'm glad that those guys are okay too.

Thank you too, Patti. They are so much fun to make. Me too, about Larry and his dad and bro.

Hi Donna, thank you so much for stopping by to say hi, and for your sweet compliments!

Anonymous said...

Magnificent! (As usual. :-P )

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":