Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Candle Wax:

Oooh!  Pretty.  Today, as I have been cleaning and sorting, I decided to gather up the old glass candle containers and get the wax out of them.  I haven't done this before, but know that you cannot put them in the microwave, unless you want to wreck your microwave, because of the little metal wick holders.  So, I decided to give this a try, and it worked fine:


I used patience.  I put the candles in a good frying pan, put in some water, and then turned the burner on "2", or very low.
 

These are my only other tools.  The tong is for taking out the metal parts.  As soon as some wax melted, I poured it into a 1/2 pint jar.  I ended up with 11, 1/2 pint jars full of scented pretty wax.  Some day, I will remelt them, add wicks and make more candles. 

I then washed the jars in the dishwasher, after I wiped as much wax off of the sides that I could with a paper towel.  Cool. Talk about some rewarding recycling! 


2 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hi Kathy - I love using scented candles but usually end up tossing that last little bit at the bottom of the jar. Where do you buy the wicks and what is the best method for getting them into the center of all that wax? Can you tell I'm a newbie? LOL

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Lisa, well, actually, I've never made them before, except when I was in 3rd grade and we used milk cartons. I think you can get wicks at Walmart, because our Bi-Mart has them. I think they are cheap. If I had any on hand, I could have probably just stuck them in these 1/2 pint jars easily. I'm going to buy some and also use little 8 oz jelly jars.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":