Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: email@example.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.
My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.
~ Kathy M.
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
My 1000th Post!!! Andy Williams and Selling Almond Roca for the Sorrity Sisters:
Please enjoy the music of ... Andy Williams! I tried to do a playlist of Anne Murray songs, but apparently she isn't on Playlist.com. I thought that was weird. She is probably just as famous as Andy Williams, maybe even more so. Oh, well. I have been thinking about Andy Williams anyway. I used to love listening to his records on our stereo when I was 8 or 9. His songs are easy to sing along too. I just learned today that Andy Williams sings "I Think I Love You". Do you think he stole that from David Cassidy, or was it the other way around? I'll have to get to the bottom of that one.
Thinking about Andy Williams reminded me of when I was young and my Mom belonged to Sorority. It wasn't the kind of sorority that you belong to in college. It was one that you joined later on. They met on a regular basis, did fundraisers, had family get togethers and wild parties. Their husbands made those parties wild.
I remember one party that was at our house, with Andy Williams blaring away on the stereo, and they played this one party game. A bit of drinking must have been going on, that is all I can figure out. They would throw a sheet over a game participant and say take off anything that you don't need. So, the person would take off their watch. The others would say, is that all you don't need? Take off anything you don't need. It would go on and on. One guy got down to his underwear and everybody was cracking up. Of course, the sheet was the thing that they didn't need!
One of the sorority's annual fundraisers was selling Almond Roca door-to-door. Each Sorority Sister was given a certain amount of the candy and a certain amount of time. My Mom was a harried mother of four with a full time job as a nurse, and going door-to-door selling Almond Roca really did not appeal to her.
So, she passed that job on to me and my best friend Carla (aka: Carly). We would go around the neighborhood selling the cans of Almond Roca, and when we were sold out we each got our own can for our hard labor. "Will work for candy!", that was us!
There were lots of nice ladies in Mom's sorority. Bonnie, Rosemary, and some lady who owned a ski shop. I don't remember them all anymore. After awhile, Mom got her sister, my Nanny to join. They all loved Nanny; but then who didn't. She is not only a lot of fun, she was Martha Stewart before Martha Stewart.
The story that I remember about Nanny and Sorority is this one. Sorority had another wild party, by that time I was a teenager. I was babysitting my cousins overnight while Nanny and Uncle went to this party. Nanny is not a drinker, in fact, I have never even seen her drink at all. But she must have drank something at that party because she was a little hungover when they got home the next day.
My cousin Kristi had a parakeet, and due to the family cat, the door to her room was supposed to stay shut. Well, that got overlooked on my watch. The kids and I were out riding mini-bikes at the park when Nanny and Uncle got home. (Gosh, times have changed. Do kids get to ride mini-bikes anymore? With a 15-year-old babysitter, out in the country, when cell phones were 30 years away from being invented?) Anyway, my hungover auntie came home to evidence the cat's feast, and that didn't help her sour stomach situation. Sorry, Nanny! The funny thing is that she quit sorority shortly thereafter. I suspect that she couldn't handle their parties any longer. They were all so upset to lose her.
Well, that is my trip down memory lane for today. I hope you enjoyed the little walk as much as I did.
Celebrate the positive!
Posts About Oregon:
- 2013 Cemetery Tour
- A Drive Along The Oregon Outback: Summer Lake Hot Springs
- Ashland, Oregon's Lodging Options
- Ashland, Oregon: Lithia Park in the Fall
- Beautiful Oregon Pictures
- Belknap Host Springs Resort: Upper Level
- Belknap Hot Springs Resort, McKenzie River Valley OR
- Belknap Springs Resort - "The Not So Secret Gardens"
- Belknap Springs Resort and Gardens: The Loge Area
- Belknap Springs Resort: "The Secret Garden"
- Blue River, McKenzie River Valley OR
- Clear Lake Resort, McKenzie River Valley OR
- Clearwater Falls, Hwy 138
- Colliding Rivers Viewpoint
- Collier Logging Museum
- Collier Logging Museum: Pioneer Village
- Coos Bay Trip #1: The Mill Casino
- Coos Bay Trip #2: Sea Gulls and Pier
- Coos Bay Trip #3: Fisherman's Wharf
- Coos Bay Trip #4: Cape Arago Area
- Cougar (Terwilliger) Hot Springs Lagoon
- Cougar Dam, Blue River OR
- Cougar Logoon and Old Growth Hiking Trail in The McKenzie River Valley of Oregon
- Cougar Reservoir Old Growth HIke, McKenzie River Valley
- Devil's Punch Bowl State Park
- Devil's Punch Bowl State Park Photos #2
- Drain, Oregon: The Drain Castle
- Drain, Oregon: The Hassard House
- Fish Lake #1, McKenzie River Valley OR
- Fish Lake Revisited (July 2009)
- God's Country Part 2: The Beaver Trail at Holiday Farms in Rainbow, Oregon
- God's Country Part I: The Park at Holiday Farms RV Park in Rainbow, Oregon
- Grass Valley, Oregon
- Green Waters Park, Oakridge OR
- Herbert Hoover Visits The McKenzie River Valley of Oregon
- Holiday Farms RV Resort in Rainbow, OR
- I Dream of Eugene "Eugene in the Spring"
- I Dream of Eugene: "J.W. Quackenbush's Hardware Store"
- I Dream of Eugene: "Just where was that Skinner Cabin?"
- I Dream of Eugene: A History Lesson on the Sidewalk
- I Dream of Eugene: The 5th Street Market
- I Dream of Eugene: The 5th Street Market Mural
- Link to my Central Oregon Blog
- Link to my McKenzie River Valley of Oregon Blog
- Living at Camp Christian, Walterville OR
- Lookout Point and Dexter Lakes
- McCreadie Hot Springs Photos
- McCredie Day Use Site
- McKenzie River Valley: Delta Campground
- McKenzie Station Espresso and Inn at McKenzie Bridge
- Naked in Nature: McCredie Hot Springs
- Newport, Oregon #1
- Newport, Oregon: Historic Bay Front and Fisherman's Wharf
- Newport, Oregon: Historic Nye Beach
- Newport, Oregon: The Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Newport, Oregon: The Oregon Coast Aquarium 2009
- Newport, Oregon: Views of Yaquina Bay State Park
- North Fork of the Willamette River Near Oakridge
- North Santiam River State Park
- Odell Lake
- Olallie Campground: Upper McKenzie River
- Pringle Falls Experimental Forest in La Pine
- Rainbow, Oregon Area: Feb. 2009
- Sahalie Falls, McKenzie River OR
- Salt Creek Falls, Highway 58 at Willamette Pass
- Seaside, Oregon: A Weekend of 6th Grade Basketball
- Seaside, Oregon: On the Beach
- Seaside, Oregon: The Carousel
- Seaside, Oregon: Window Shopping
- Shadow Shots from Around Oregon
- Shahalie Falls
- Shelter Cover Resort at Odell Lake, Oregon
- Silverton, Oregon Video
- South Santiam River: Fernview Campground
- Taking the Long Way Home Part I: Unity, Fall Creek, Lowell
- Taking the Long Way Home Part II: Westfir, Oakridge, Highway 58
- The Astoria Column in Astoria, Oregon
- The Columbus Day Storm
- The Dreaded Scotch Broom
- The Hassard House Becomes Sweet Thang Chocolates
- The Hassard House Becomes Sweet Thang Chocolates
- The Hotel Elliott in Astoria, Oregon
- The Hotel McCredie and McCredie Hot Springs
- The Lightship Columbia
- The McKenzie River Valley #1
- The Oregon (Portland) Zoo
- The Rustic Skillet in Rainbow, OR
- Train Mountain in Chiloquin, OR
- Trapper Creek at Odell Lake
- Unity Bridge at Fall Creek
- Warm Springs Photos 2008
- Wicopee Fields and The Frazier Slide
- Winter on the North Fork and Willamette: Oakridge Rest Area
"More Blog Friends"
"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"
"Writing and Poetry Blogs":
- Cathy C.'s Hall of Fame
- Claudia's Page
- Donna's Book Pub
- Elizabeth Mueller
- Emma's LLM Calling
- Fireside Park - Tony Benson
- Gumbo Justice
- Katie O'Sullivan
- Laura Howard's Finding Bliss
- Margo Benson
- Musings From The Moment
- Napple Notes
- Rinkly Rimes
- She Writes Members Blogs
- So You Want to be a Writer
- The Art of Being Broken
- The Publishing Virgin
- Womens Memoirs
- Write From the Heart
"Spiritual and Inspirational Blogs"
"My Blog List"
- A Southern Daydreamer
- Coloring Outside the Lines
- Dusty Us Diaries
- Faith, Hope and a Whole Lotta Love
- Heart's Content
- In Amazing Graceland
- Martha's Musings
- Meditations of My Heart
- My Arts Desire
- My Garden Haven
- My Heart's Content
- My Photography in Focus
- Old Forest
- Patina Moon
- Photographers of Esty
- Photographers of Esty Blog
- Pioneer Woman
- Smiling Sally's Blue Monday
- Snapshots of Bombay
- Stamp Mouse
- The Feathered Nest
- Tina's Pic Story
- Watery Wednesday
"Book Clubs and Book Blogs":
"Food and Cooking Blogs"
"Decorating and Homemaking Blogs":
"Art/Craft and Sewing/Quilting Blogs":
"M.E., Vintage, Cherry and Shabby Chic Blogs":
"Marriage and Family Blogs"
Frugal Living and Coupon Sites:
More neat blogs and websites to check out!
Links and Resources:
- "Getting the Hang of the Business End of Things" for Writers
- 1859 Oregon Magazine
- 20 Search.com
- Art-e-zine: Vintage Resources
- Bend Blogs.com
- Bend Bulleitn: Bend Events for the Week
- Bend: Survival Common Sense Blog
- Big Huge Labs.com
- Bing/Windows Live Pictures
- Book Blogger Directory
- Book Catcher.com
- Chickens in the Road.com
- Cottage Hill's Linky List
- Deb Gould
- Earth Files.com
- Easy Bread Recipe
- El.com - Oregon Links
- Eugene Police Reports
- Explore Central Oregon
- Family Old Photos.com
- Fracture Me Photo Frames Website
- Free Genealogy Websites
- Free Photo Effects
- Free Photo Sources
- Free University Writing Classes
- Google Books
- Hack Bend: What's Going On In Bend OR
- Historic Photo Archive.com
- How to make your own postcards.
- Indie Fixx's Feed Your Soul: Free Art!
- Is Somebody Stealing Your Blog Content?
- Link to Curtis Irish's Collection on Flicker
- List of 5106 Oregon Landmarks
- Lost Oregon Links
- MLB - Home Page
- MLB - Mariners
- MLB - Rays
- MLB - Red Sox
- MLB - Yankees
- Make Your Own Slide Show
- Malibu Recovery Center Blog
- Meme-Aholoics List of Meme Parties
- NaNoWriMo Forums
- Nan's Cottage Design Studio
- Nature Photography Blog
- ODOT Webcam and Trip Checks for Central Oregon
- Old Oregon Photos.com
- Oregon Hiking.com
- Oregon Hot Springs Map
- Oregon Wildfire Info
- Pacific Crest Stock Photos.com
- Photo Friday.com
- Photo Secrets.com
- Plumrose Lane
- Project Gutenberg: Free Books!
- Publication Studio: Books on Demand
- Publishing Syndicate.com
- RV Parks.com
- Salem History - Old Oregon Photos
- Skool Days Nostalgia Blog
- Southern Oregon History Website
- Surnames in Douglas County, Oregon - Linkpendium
- Survival Center.com
- The Oregon Encyclopedia and The Willamette River
- The Publicity Primer (From Shannon at The Warrior Muse)
- Tom's Book Publishing Blog
- Visit USA.com
- Western Americana
- Word Hippo
- Writer Beware!