Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, February 25, 2011

This and That Friday: Guatemala, Carrots, Tin Pot Valley and The Early Oregon Series

Guatemala Bound!

It is that time of year again:  My Mom (Grandma Jody), my daughter Kristin, and my nephew Ethan are heading down to Guatemala to help those living in extreme poverty.  This will be Grandma Jody's tenth year in a row.  It will be Ethan's third trip and Kristin's second.

 Kristin, Ethan and Mom on their 2009 Guatemala Trip

On Kristin's first trip, she worked in the dental clinic:



She makes friends easily, and here she is with some new ones:



Grandma Jody works in the medical clinic.  She is one of the people that keeps everybody organized.  She goes down a day early to help get everything set up.  I know that she is invaluable, with all of her experience and common sense.  The photo below is of folks waiting patiently to be seen for treatment and surgeries:



This year, Kristin will join Ethan and the construction team.  They will be installing stoves, and pouring concrete floors in homes in the outlying areas.  Here is a photo of the safe stoves that they install:


I am so proud of all three of them, as well as all of the other people that they go with.  Please keep them in your prayers, especially for their safe travel, and their safety and health while they are over there.  Thank you!


These photos are from Kristin and Mom, except for the one with Richard by the stove (it is off of the Onil Stove website).  For more information, you can check out these links:





Carrot Harvest: 

Remember the other day when I was working on the dehydrating those 60 carrots?  They filled up these 8 trays:


Well, they shrunk down to 1 1/3 Ziplock quart freezer bags!  It took 2 days in the dehydrator to get them to this point, but they will save space and will last for a long time.  I am going to store them in a food canister on top of the cupboard, and they'll be there when I need them.  


I think that I will repeat this project with the remainder of the carrots.  I'll save a few out to make a veggi soup though.






So, what have I been up to this week?  Lots and lots.  I have been working hard on my Early Oregon Series.  What is that, you may ask?  It is my new project that is going to take me a long time and is tons of work, but that I am very enthused and excited about.  

I am not laying out all of the details yet, but I am reading a copy of my Grandma T.'s book of Tin Pot Valley that was written by Wilfred Brown, and is about the area where his grandparents lived.  Wilfred's grandmother is my great-great-aunt Aurilla Hedrick Putnam, and they all lived in an area also known as Hardscrabble and Putnam Valley, outside of Drain, Oregon.  The book is so well written, and is a joy to read.  Even if you have no connection with the folks who are in it, I know that you would enjoy it.  It is full of valuable information about the settling of Douglas County.  My great-great grandparents are in Chapter 13, "From The Tennessee Hills".

All of this Early Oregon Series stuff came out of my need to organize the info that I am researching for my book.  As I mentioned the other day, I have set up 13 new blogs this week and figure that I'll end up with a total of 20.  When they are set up and ready to go, then I'll share them with you guys.  I am so excited, though am pretty tired at the end of the day, and my eyes hurt!  Oh well, no pain, no gain.


When I tear myself away from the computer, I finished reading "The Little House on the Prairie" and am almost done with "On The Banks of Plum Creek", by Laura Ingalls Wildler.  It is amazing how the research that I am doing on my own relatives parallels some of the experiences (and even locations) as the Ingalls family.  

I want to give a shout out to Grandma Jody and to my Nanny and Aunt Mardy for handing down the info that I am now working on.  Mom has given us books and pictures on the family calendar.  I  am so happy to finally have the time and the drive to work on this stuff so that I can share it with others.


I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend.  God bless!



If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

4 comments:

Donnie said...

What a wonderful post. So many of you are doing wonderful things. Thanks for taking me along with you.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Donnie, thank you. I really enjoy all the nice things you write to me, you know. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!

Hootin Anni said...

This is one incredible post...the journey of your family and the saviors that they are in doing all the great volunteer work. And wow...your work, all becoming a reality soon. You're inspirational.

Oh, and Little House Series...I have them...well, I don't have them any more, I passed them all down to our daughter when she started having a family. Super books.


I've been darned busy this week, and this is now a time I finally set aside visiting my blogging buddies!!!

Hope your day has been filled with all kinds of good stuff! Thanks for visiting me this past week!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, Anni!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":