Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Focusing on the here and now ....



I recently wrote a blog post of being blessed on my birthday ten years ago.  About how God had been there for me by answering my prayers, sometimes before I had even asked them.  I did a bit of remembering, and let some of my anger and self-pity show through in that essay.  Still, I thought that the message was really about how things got better for me after I left a bad situation, with God's help. 


Coincidentally, after I posted that, I learned about an organization that was looking for writing submissions on going through a divorce and being divorced.  I sent them my blog post, and they said that they could maybe use it, but that it was too long.  Did I want to edit it, or could they?  I said, go for it.  The other day I received an email saying that they couldn't use it after all, which is fine with me.  I was having second thoughts about the whole thing myself.  I told them thank you for looking it over, and that I realized that it was a blog post and not a concise story, and that it did need a lot of work.


The part that interested me about their email was that they said my story had too much about God in it and not enough stuff about me and what I did.  The whole point of the story was about how God had helped me that week.  What did I do?  I prayed and asked for his help and was open to what happened next.  I don't see how I could have edited any of the God part out, and am glad that I did not labor on a re-write.  


I was told that their organization appealed to people from all walks of life, and that some of those women were not religious, so that they did not print articles that included God in them.  To me that is sad.  In trying to be politically correct, their organization is excluding a lot of stories that would be of interest or help to many, especially to those women who are in a very bad situation and who are tied by religion to stay married.  I am sure that there are other organizations out there that are supportive to believers experiencing divorce, so it probably all evens out.  Know that God loves you even if you get divorced, ladies. 


This is one of the verses that helped me through that time of my life, by the way:

"I waited patiently for God to help me; then he listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path, and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things he did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in him. Many blessings are given to those who trust the Lord and have no confidence in those who are proud or who trust in idols."    

Psalm 40:1-4



The other thing that I have been thinking about is where do I want to put my writing energy?  Do I want to focus on the past, and bring up the pain, rejection and anger that went along with getting divorced in order to write a good story?  Some of my best writing is about those times, because I can still remember the feelings that went along with them.   But, I do not really want to immerse myself in the past and remember all of it again.  That is over with, done with and dealt with.  I am so much happier these days, focusing on the many good things in my life, my relationship with Cary, and I don't want to go backwards.


Do you guys have any thoughts or comments about living in the here and now?  Do you use your past hurts in your writing and/or do have your characters experience them?  How does all of this work?  Do I even really want to write?



It is just so much easier to take pictures.


~ Kathy

2 comments:

BECKY said...

Oh, Kathy! I have lots to say about this post!! LOL. I think I'll send you an e-mail!! :D

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, good, I need advice! :>)

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":