Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kevin Costner


Uh, oh.  I think I may have a new secret boyfriend.  I swear, I do not know what has come over me, this being a fan business all of a sudden.  Okay, Johnny Damon, that was okay.  But then Ree and now Kevin Costner?  I never bought the teen magazines when I was young and do not even read People or anything like that now.  What is going on here?

Cary and I were watching Biography last night on t.v.  First, we learned all about Clint Eastwood.  There was a lot to learn and I enjoyed it, remembering most of all that he is nearing 80-years-old and has teenage daughters.  

Then came the biography on Kevin Costner.  He was actually on there, talking about his life.  So were his parents and kids.  I have always enjoyed his movies, and I found out last night that there were several I haven't seen yet.  I'll put that on my to do list right away, now that I know.

Kevin is 3 years older than me and grew up within miles of Cary ... even playing on the Little League All Star Team in Ventura.  Cary is 7 years older than Kevin, so their paths never crossed on the field, but still.  Cary has always said that Kevin is a jock and knows how to play ball.  It takes one to know one, I always say.

Cary's favorite Costner flick is "Dances With Wolves".  Mine is "The Postman".  It triggered my imagination, and I hope that America doesn't come down to that, but who knows?  I started seeing the possibility in canning jars after watching that movie.  I knew that his daughter was the cute teen with long hair who was a letter carrier, but until last night, I did not know that his son was the little boy holding the letter out to Kevin as he thundered by on horseback.

One thought led to another, as I sipped on my wine and continued to watch the show.  Kevin Costner was beat up really bad about "The Postman" by the critics, but it really is one of my favorite movies.  I drew the parallel between his work on that film and the critics reaction, and how Sarah Palin and her family now get beat up so bad by the press.  It's kind of like hating/killing the messenger. Sometimes it is overkill, if you ask me.

Anyway, one thing that came out of watching that show was being reminded about how much character Kevin Costner has, and how he has lived his life following his dreams.  He said during the interview, "Don't cater to your audience, instead, concentrate on telling a great story." Kevin also said to "Take intimately American stories and tell them well."  And, that is also what Ree does.  And that is what I am trying to do here ... tell a great story.  I'll keep practicing until I get it right.  

I suppose that I just really admire people who follow their hearts and who have a lot of integrity. They appeal to me.

P.S. - As far as Johnny Damon goes, he is now playing for the Detroit Tigers.  Good luck, Johnny, I know that you will turn that team around this year ... just wish I could watch you on t.v. a lot more often than I will be able to now.  Because the Tigers are not very good, and not very local, they won't be shown very often on our channels.

P.S.S. - One thing about having a back-up secret boyfriend like Kevin Costner is that you can just stick a movie into the VCR/DVD player at anytime you feel like it.  You don't have to depend on whether or not your secret boyfriend is a Red Sox, a Yankee or a Tiger.

3 comments:

BECKY said...

Kathy, this is so good! I'm with you...Kevin is one hunk of guy that is easy on the eyes, as they say! My favorite movie has to be Field of Dreams, because it's just such a sweet story, and I love baseball, and I love Iowa! Long story on that last part!! Keep telling your story(s)...You're good at it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Becky! I loved Field of Dreams too. I can't wait until I get my prize; I'm going to do a blog post about it then and write a story about that. I've never been to Iowa, but I think some of the nicest Americans come from there.

Kathy

BECKY said...

Hi Kathy! Hey, that's really neat that you plan to blog and write about the book after you read it! Can't wait to hear what you think of it! I love Iowa because both sets of my grandparents and my parents were from there and I have wonderful memories of summer vacations. That info is included in my book. It's part memoir.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":