Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Bookish thoughts ...



There are a lot of people who write books, obviously, and a lot more who want to write them but do not know how.  Like me.  I am pretty sure that I can write a non-fiction book, and I have one very clearly in mind for that.  As soon as I pay for Word 2007 (which I'd better get on since my free trial expires in 5 days), I can begin working on that one.  It will kind of be like a school project, and I can do those and get A's.  In fact, I loved writing papers in college, and I took lots of writing classes: 121, 122, 123, grant writing and technical writing.  I love doing research.  I am only lacking in the creative writing area.

I am not as excited about writing the book above, though, as I am at the thought of writing a historical novel that was inspired by my blog post about the camp and the camp house.  It just came to me, like nothing has before.  I have a plot, several characters, a setting, and it is living history sort of thing in an actual location that can be researched.  I see it being written as a Jane Kirkpatrick sort of book.  But, how do I start?  And, how do I make it quality and something that others would want to read?  How do I make the dialogue realistic and not sappy? 

The day before yesterday I had finished reading a good book, (Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter) and went to our little "library/den/playroom" and noticed a book that I had gotten some time ago at a used book sale for .50:  The Art & Craft of Novel Writing by Oakley Hall.  Just what the doctor ordered (or God had planned).

I began reading it, and it is like going to college again, since Oakley Hall is a college professor who teaches writing, or at least he did in 1989 when this book was written.  In the 10 pages I have read so far, I have learned that I have so much to learn!  But that is okay.  I am not on a time line and am rather excited about this whole thing.  

Mr. Hall begins his teachings with "render, present and dramatize".  I didn't even know what render meant before yesterday.  The definition given in the book is "To put into a state.  To cause to be or become.  To put into artistic or verbal form.  To depict or express (never merely pointing, naming, summarizing). To give an interpretation, translation, visualization of."  

Well, what a lot to think about.  I have been pondering rendering ever since!



No comments:

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":