Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza #2: Mayberry's Book Nook

I first posted this in February 2010, but it could have been written today; things haven't changed around here.  It still is easier for me to buy books than clothes, and on Friday I went and stocked up on more food.



Among other things, I keep adding to my book collection.  This poor house.  Cary looked at the new chickens in the living room and said, I think we (me) shouldn't bring home anything new that we cannot eat.  Good point, but woman does not live on bread alone.  I don't usually feel like shopping, and it is hard to get me to buy new clothes or new shoes.  He usually suggests that I go and do that.  (When I do, my clothes last a long time, since I put on my sweats and/or p.j.'s as soon as I hit the front door.)  So, in the long run, I do think he's getting off pretty cheap on my spending habits.

Sometimes, I get into what I consider a "gathering" frame of mind.  I stock up on food, batteries, soap, shampoo and things like that, if they are on sale.   My one weakness is used books.  They are easy to get and barely cost anything, if you know where to go.  At the La Pine Library is where I find my best deals.  They have a little room that is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays (times are at the bottom of this post), staffed with volunteers.  It has no windows. The prices range from .25 to $1.00 and yesterday I spent $20.00, so you can figure out how thrilled I was with the number of great books I got for that amount.

There was a nice lady, chatty and friendly, who was working at the Book Nook yesterday.  I don't even know her name, even though I know she was born in 1932, has lived in La Pine since the early 1970's and once went on a trip to Louisiana with her girlfriend several decades ago.  They road up and down the Mississippi on a stern-wheeler tour.  I learned all this when I found a like-new copy of "The Green Mile", and said, oh, I didn't know that this story was by Stephen King.  (We have been watching the movie on t.v., lately, and it stars Tom Hanks.  I always cry at the end.)  She had never read the book or seen the movie, come to find out.

Back to the lady.  She told me that the tour theme was "Big Houses".  The first place they stopped at was a prison, where they stayed for four hours.  They met the warden, and he told them how it used to be one of the worse prisons in the whole country, until he took it over.  The warden treated everybody with respect, calling the prisoners Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones.  He put all the prisoners to work.  If they were lazy, they went into time out for 6 months and had all their food ground into mush.  The food was nutritious, but mush none-the-less.  I don't know if this was where The Green Mile was filmed or not.  I'll have to check it out.

The lady and her friend got back on the boat and went to another big house.  This one was a mansion, owned by an heiress of the Sears family, of Sears and Roebuck.  Come to find out, I had been there too, in 2000, when my ex-husband (the nicer one), took me on a wonderful trip to New Orleans.  We took a van tour one day, and one of the places we went was to that Sears house.  It was so funny that both my new friend and I had visited that place, and had narrowed down our mutual connection within 15 minutes of meeting.  Six degrees of separation at it's best!  Here is a link to that house, which is named Longue VueLongue Vue House and Gardens.

The lady was very interested in why I was buying so many books, on so many different interests and topics.  Children' books, fiction novels, herbal healing, baseball history, crafts, etc.  She asked, well, what are you doing, making a library?  I guess I am.  I told her about my Mom Cave, which is kind of like a mini family room and all of the things that are stuffed in there, and about all of the books.  I think I could teach school now with what I have on hand.  If the need ever came up. The lady thought that sounded like a great idea.  Thank you, nice lady, for supporting my efforts.
  
BOOK NOOK - La Pine Library. 
Tuesdays 10am -1pm & Saturdays 1pm – 4pm. Hard Cover Books: $1.00; Paperbacks 50cents; Childrens' Books: 25 cents.  Call 312-1090 for more info.



I am submitting this post to Lesa at 
Baja Greenwalt's Cozy Book Nook's
Please join us in telling about your used book adventures.






You guys have to also check out Shredded Cheddar's video that she made this week for Bargain Book Bonanza ... it is way too funny ... please click here to go and watch it!



If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

5 comments:

Lesa said...

Thanks for joining BBB again!

Love this bookish adventure! The Book Nook is my kinda book hunting spot. The little lady you met sounds like an absolute treasure.

Donnie said...

What a cute post but Don and I being "Florda snowbirds"..lol...I usually go drive the librarians crazy.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Your Mom Cave sounds great! Do you know what it reminds me of? The renovated stable in Madeleine L'Engle's novel Meet the Austins, which the owner turned into a home and then stocked so full of books that neighbourhood children preferred to borrow books from him than from the library! The narrator, his granddaughter, jokes that she can't hear about "stalls" in a library without thinking of the stalls in the old stable full of books rather than horses! Apparently, her grandfather is such a bibliomaniac that he can't leave a bookstore without a book in hand. (And I suppose the relevant question for the day would be: Great, but are they also bargains? LOL!)

By the way, I have similar shopping issues. I buy books a lot, but rarely spend money on clothes. No husband yet, but it drives my fashionista mother crazy!

PS--I just used your search feature to find all your "Mom Cave" posts and now I see that it's so much more than just a library. What a warm, lovely space you've created! No wonder everyone in your family loves it. =)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thank you, Lesa, Donnie and JMJ ...

I love your story JMJ; I think that I'll need to read that book. Thanks for looking at my Mom Cave. It is a neat room.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

By the way, I fixed the video I embedded in my BBB post this week. I hope you can come back and watch it, when you have the time. =)

Thanks for leaving me that early comment, too!

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":