Showing you Oregon,one post at a time. Did you know that I post the links of many of my stories and articles on the sidebar? When you have extra time, please scroll down to see more. At the bottom of this page there are links to many other blogs that I enjoy.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

Hello, friends, thank you so much for stopping by. I really hope that you will enjoy your visit to Oregon Gifts. Due to spam, I am not accepting comments from anonymous people. Please email me at: oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com if you are unable to leave a comment on here. I write back through email when I can.

My words and photographs are copyrighted, and may not be used without permission, even on Pinterest.

~ Kathy M.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Easy Split Pea Soup With Ham:



This is what I did today ~ I made split pea soup 
with ham in six easy steps, and this is how I did it:



1) First, get out your crock pot.  This is my favorite one, because it is so big, and I consider it high-speed.  It will burn you with steam if you are not careful though, so I took out my magic marker and wrote a warning on it.  I always forget, get burned and get mad otherwise.  Then, I cleaned it for the photo, but didn't want to wash off my writing, so it is a little blurry instead of stainless steel shiny around that part ... but everything was very clean inside, where it counts (just so you know).



2)  Take out the old fashioned bone-in ham that you cooked the other day, and put it on your cutting board.  Take a good look at it.  Figure out how much you are going to take off, and how much you are going to leave on. 



3)  Work your knife magic!  I cubed up my carvings and put them in the freezer to be used another day.  Maybe for scalloped potatoes with ham, or perhaps a ham noodle casserole.  Then I paced the rest of the ham that was still on the bone into the crock pot.



4)  I looked in my cupboards and figured out what I had on hand that would make a great soup.  These are the things that I came up with:



5)  Then, big surprise, I put everything into the crock pot with the ham.  I figured that all that broth had enough salt in it, but added some pepper and some garlic powder:



6)  Then I let the soup cook for six hours; stirring it every once in a while.  You cook it until the split peas and carrots are soft.  This is how it turned out.  Yum!


Easy.  Fun.  Pretty.  Delicious.



If you miss a day, you miss a lot!  Don't miss out on the news ... Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today.

11 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Wow! That looks easy AND yummy! And it doesn't look like typical pea soup, so my hubby might eat it. I love pea soup but have never tried to make it since I'm the only one who likes it. But this might make everyone happy. I'll try it soon and let you know!

Arkansas Patti said...

Aw, how I wish I liked split pea soup. It was one of my Dad's specialties that I never enjoyed. I was the in the minority in our family, everyone else loved it.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Lisa and Patti ... you could make this with any kind of beans and it would be just as good, I think. I really was tasty!

Hootin Anni said...

Now THIS will be on our table soon!! Wow. First off, it's one of my favorite soups, and secondly, I've never added all those goodies. But I will NOW!!

Thanks for stopping by yesterday to visit.

Monday's link:
Spring in my Corner of the World

Lynn said...

Yummy, I will have to give that a try!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

This looks easy and deli! Terrific, this will soon be in our dinner table! I love split pea soup, I even liked it when they gave us for lunch in school and I wasen't a good eater back then!
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my mother in law's brass bed, my daughter's grandmother, that's why they're getting half of the bed each, like I have it now in my guest room.
FABBY

Tony Benson said...

That soup looks delicious! Can you email me some? :-)

Reflections said...

Your soup looks absolutely delicious.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and a special thanks for adding me to your photography sidebar. I'm honored to be listed among such wonderful photographers, writers, and everyday bloggers. Thank you.

Decor To Adore said...

Oh this looks so good! It is raining today. Perfect soup weather!

LV said...

I love most any kind of soup. This really looks good. I have never made it. However, I do not cook much anymore.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Everybody, thanks for your great comments. I hope that you will someday have a chance to make it, cuz I know that you will really enjoy it if you do.

No Copying!


Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.

I LOVE THE STATE OF OREGON.
Links to My Oregon Blog Posts (Except for Central Oregon):

"Oregon Bloggers"

"Sepia Saturday, Postcard and Stamp Blogs"

"Writing and Poetry Blogs":